Sunday, May 13, 2012

On this Mother's Day













There are times when I look at the kids and think "are they really mine?"  I wonder how long I will feel this way, when it will finally sink in that, yes, these little perfectly imperfect beings are mine forever and always.  Today, as I celebrated my 10th Mother's Day with my family, I stepped back and felt my heart swell with gratefulness.  As I am typing this now, I am failing miserably to find the words as to how happy I am to be a mother, but not just a mother, their mother.  They have made my life richer in ways I never thought possible. They have stretched me and caused me to grow right along with them.  They are forgiving and joyful and know what it really means to give unconditional love.  Because of them, I get to relive every moment, every milestone as if it were my first time.  I see the world in a slower, more meaningful pace.  I laugh more, I smile more, I wonder more.  These children truly are a gift, a blessing, a miracle.  One that I am so thankful for every single day.  I couldn't have asked for a better job in the world!

Today, we headed to the woods despite the threat of rain and I was able to snap some pictures with one of my gifts- a new DSLR camera (and new lenses!)  It was a gift from my husband who knows me and my love of photography oh so well.  In fact, for my first mother's day, he gifted me with a SLR (film) camera so it was quite perfect.  And now, I need to become great friends with my manual and tutorials on the web so I know just how to work it!  But back to the woods- it was a great time...we spotted some lizards and beetles and that black rat snake that Jacob is stroking (very gently!) with a stick.  Funny enough, both him and Parker had their heads turned when the snake decided he had had enough of the personal space invasion and slithered off right in front of them!  It startled both of them, which we all thought was amusing as they are  usually very comfortable with snakes.  A great memory for sure.  We made it to the rock house just as the sky opened up.  We spent the rest of the hike running/quickly walking back to the nature center only to have the rain slow to a light sprinkling as the nature center came into sight, naturally.  After a nice picnic lunch (under a pavillion!) and a drying off, we headed back home.  I suppose having beautiful sunny skies would have been nice, but there really is something about running through the woods in the rain that is equally perfect.  It was a good day.

Wishing all my mama friends and my own mama a very Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment