Friday, June 15, 2012

In the summer garden...













This week, my garden buddy and I have spent lots of time in the yard.  Our soil is so full of rocks here, I decided to go around and dig up what rocks I came across and use them to line the border of the wildflower garden.  I wasn't sure how many I would find, but I was also hopeful that I would have enough.  Let me say, it sure didn't take long!  Kenna would follow me around and it was much like a treasure hunt.  We would both be giddy when we found one and then proceeded to dig it up.  At one point, Kenna brought the little wheelbarrow along with (smart girl!) and we loaded up then wheeled it over to the side of the house.  I think the end result looks quite nice!

The front hedges desperately needed a trim.  After a quick trip to Lowe's, I came back a happy woman with a pair of (manual) hedge trimmers.  There was something very gratifying about whacking away at those bushes, making it all tidy once again.  After Kenna saw me, she ran inside to get her scissors.  She decided two pairs would do the best job.  I like her work ethic :-)

Let's see, we also discovered the kids' first cucumber of the season.  I think it has to be the smallest cucumber ever, but it sure is cute.  I am waiting to see how big it will get, but I have a feeling it won't grow much bigger.

We also planted the begonias in our hanging planters, planted some dwarf sunflower seeds in a pot and some dill as well.  I have a variety of spinach seeds soaking and will be planted tomorrow.  I am excited about this particular type as they are supposed to grow all summer!

So far, I am not having much luck with my tomatoes.  They are suffering from blossom drop, but I can't quite figure out why.  Weather isn't an issue at this point so that only leaves pollination, but they are placed next to the wildflower garden AND in a clover patch which sees lots of action from the honeybees and the bumblebees.  I am wondering if they just aren't getting enough sun???  I really, really, really was looking forward to some tomatoes, but may have to put them on hold until we live somewhere that is sunnier.

My mint plants are also under attack from some sort of pest.  They are pretty holey and pathetic looking right now.  I spotted a powdery white bug on the apple mint and am wondering if he had something to do with it.  Otherwise it is a big mystery as there isn't a bug in sight whenever I check.  Sigh.  I will just keep my fingers crossed and keep investigating.  My poor sad little garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment