Thursday, September 13, 2012

We're here













Just a selection of photos from the last week and a half.  We officially started our home learning year last Tuesday.  I wish I could say it went great and everything fell into place, but that just wasn't the case this year.      We had a very rough start...lots of resistance and complaining and wishing they were anywhere, but doing the work I had planned.  This homeschooling gig can be pretty tough.  I tend to take it really personally when my kids reject my plans or say things like "school is boring".  Those first few days were pretty trying and not to mention Daddy was gone on a business trip and wouldn't return for a week!  I was feeling pretty defeated and overwhelmed.  Not such a great feeling to start off the year.  But the good news is I took the time to reflect on what was working and changed what wasn't.  I lowered my expectations for the bigger boys and we have a much more relaxed flow to our day.  I think if you happened to come over during our lesson time, it would look a bit chaotic at times, but it is working and the kids aren't complaining (much).  You learn and you move on, right?!

This week went much, much better.  I don't think it was a coincidence that it was also the first week of our homeschool soccer league start up and the first meeting of Scouts.  All the boys were pretty excited to gear up once again in cleats and to put on their scouting uniforms (aren't they handsome?).  They are already talking about next week.  I am just happy we have a return to a more structured rhythm versus the free flowing days of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment