Sunday, July 8, 2012

Summer Days

 doesn't everyone eat their dinner with their napkin on their head?
 ah, sweet sibling moment!
 new bunny friend
 lazy days of summer
 toadies
 lemonade stand
 lilac sky
 pot-luck meal celebrating the 4th
 snuggles
 visiting with family
 fun (and not scary) firework show- thanks Daddy!
 pool play
 summer reading on the front porch
adding to the boys' garden

These photos were taken over the last two weeks.  I really didn't mean to take such a long break, but it was for a good reason.  Last week, I ended up with laryngitis for three days which then turned into a severe head cold.  And let me just say, being sick in summer is really no fun!  Being outside was difficult for me (we have really poor air quality here during the summers) and I was struggling to keep up my energy level.  Thankfully, after taking some time to really take care of myself (lots of rest!), I feel like I am on the mend.  

This morning, the littles and I headed outside bright and early to dig in the earth.  Jacob and I had a special "date" last night and he picked out three flats of flowers to plant around the yard and we were both anxious to get them planted before it became to hot.  Let me say how much I love that they enjoy gardening just as much as their mama.  I think one of the best things you can do for your child is to give them the opportunity to grow things, to tend things, to watch things blossom and produce.  I have been very hands off with their garden this year, offering suggestions only now and then, but pretty much letting them do their own thing.  There is so much learning going on.  They have been able to witness their seeds (that they planted in February!) grow into a plant that is now beginning to make cucumbers.  As we were planting this morning, Parker was ever so excited to show me their cucumber baby and how the plant had little tendrils that "curled around the fence" and all of the blossoms just waiting to turn into more cucumbers.  It made this mama's heart swell.  I hope they hold on to this enthusiasm as they grow and look back on these days gardening with great fondness!

This week promises to bring cooler temps and hopefully some much needed rain.  Now that I am feeling better, I hope to get in some sewing projects and I have even started working on Christmas gifts! (I have a long list that I do NOT want to push until Nov/Dec...I just did not enjoy working under that kind of stress!).

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment