Monday, February 6, 2012

For the babies


When the kids were away last week, I took advantage of the quiet to sew up a few things for the babies in the house.  The kids had been asking me for quite some time to make their babies more clothes and to be honest, I was putting it off b/c sewing is still something I feel so inadequate about.  But I am slowly trying to change that...slowly.  Anyways, after doing some searching online, I found a simple enough tutorial here that would work for Molly, who happens to be 12".  My first attempt at the peasant top resulted in one that had unfinished hems around the arms (which I could have hand sewn, but I don't really enjoy hand sewing) and was a bit tight/short.  So I made a larger one with finished hems and it fits much better.  Still not perfect, but good enough.
 I also made two diapers, using the same blog as a tutorial, out of some extra flannel.  The off white one is Molly's and once Parker saw that she had a diaper, he wanted one for Kennedy.  Happy to make another, since these were super duper quick and easy, I used an old receiving blanket of Kenna's to make the striped one.  I think I will also make a matching nightie as well.  I think ;-)

 And Kennedy happened to be the only baby in need of a sweater, so I knit this one up a few weekends ago.  I chose brown to match Parker's christmas sweater and he was really happy about that.  The sweater is the Poppy Cardigan and it is knit top down so no seaming!

 There has been lots of doll play with the boys again.  It sure does make this mama happy to see how loved their babies are.  And now there are lots of plans for Daddy to make some more beds and it seems every baby needs their own changing table/wardrobe.




my apologies for the bad pictures...it has been cold, wet and dreary for the last several days!

5 comments:

  1. The clothes turned out great! See, the sewing machine is not scary. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Yes, it isn't as scary anymore. But my machine and I still don't always agree ;-)

      Delete
  2. Tanya, they are perfect!! The simpler the better, in my opinion for dolly clothes. That sweater is perfect- and I may have to do one too!
    I LOVE boys playing with dolls! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! Yes, I think simple is good as well. Of course, the shirt is a pullover style and I am kicking myself b/c Kenna is having a hard time getting it on and off. Ugh, sometimes I forget how little she is! And yes, the sweater was super easy and I could see adding buttons to it to make it more "boyish".

      Delete
  3. It's all so beautiful Tanya, Me too with the sewing machine, 'we don't always agree" ha ha you are so gracious with that phrase. You are an inspiration. I just found so fabric to repurpose for the dollies and now I feel more encouraged to use it. I love diapers for dollies too.

    ReplyDelete