Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Handmade Holidays: Christmas Part I

The kids and I had so much fun making gifts this year for our family!  I have to say that this was the first year where they came up with their own ideas and followed through to completion ON THEIR OWN.  They were excited about not only coming up with the perfect gift, but buying materials and then making them as well.  Handmade gifts really are the best you know.
 I gifted my mom with three knitted washcloths and some local made lavendar soap (that smelled so yummy I almost kept it for myself, ha).  Blake actually knitted a few rows on the red/white washcloth too, but I think he lost interest.  My mom loved them so much she requested kitchen towels as well (I will get on that soon, mom!)
 Both Jacob and Parker wanted to make picture frames for poppa.  They cut the wood themselves (with Daddy's supervision) glued and assembled the pieces and then decorated them.  Daddy took some pictures of the kids to go in the frames.  Pictures are always a well received gift in my family.
 Blake made a woven bookmark for poppa.  He picked out this really pretty purpley-pink wool yarn and then used a cardboard "loom" to create the bookmark.  This was a such a simple project even a younger one could have done by themselves as well.
For grandma, Blake sewed a cute little tea towel.  Again, he did everything from picking out the fabrics, to layout and sewing of the towel.  This was the first time he had used my sewing machine and was a pro pretty quickly!  I love how easy it is for children to just envision something and then make it happen.

Not pictured (besides completed gifts b/c this mama forgot to take pictures of that, oops) are some sculpey creations that Parker and Jacob made for grandma.  If I remember correctly, they made her a butterfly and some snails.  This was the first time we have used sculpey and it was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment