Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mama Made

I've never considered myself a very creative or crafty person, although the desire was there. I remember my grandmother making clothes for my sister and I when we were growing up, but other than that, it just wasn't present in our home. Even after having 3 kids, I still really didn't make things for them. It always seemed easier to just buy it. However, this all changed once I discovered Waldorf education. It really is more than a method of learning, but a lifestyle as well. There is a large emphasis on creating with your own hands (whether this is art, toys or cooking!). I have been slowly improving my crafty skills and pushing myself to learn new (and at sometimes, intimidating) things. So....


meet Elizabeth! Last fall, Blake announced to me that he wanted a doll for his birthday. We have several friends in our co-op who have babies and bring them on their adventures and I think after all this time, Blake finally decided he needed a baby of his own. Of course I was more than happy to oblige! However, it couldn't be just any baby. Children view dolls as an extension of themselves and I wanted to give him something that could "live". She is made with wool interlock and stuffed with carded wool therefore, she is soft and can cuddle and is warmed when held. Her face has very subtle features so that she can have any emotion that is imagined. Her hair is made of mohair and can be brushed/styled when needed.

She was not easy to make. This was my first sewing project since 8th grade home ec class! I learned so much though...including how to crochet! Countless hours of love went into making her and boy does she show it. When Blake opened her up his birthday morning, he just kept saying over and over how much he loved her! She goes just about everywhere with him and he sleeps with her every night. It makes this mama very proud! Now, two more dolls in the works for some very impatient brothers (thankfully, I have time before I need to make one for Kenna!)
When I was several months pregnant with MaKenna, I learned how to knit. My only completed project during that time was a small gnome that seemed to take forever. My pregnancy with her was pretty rough and so I put the needles down in favor of coma inducing couch potatoing. After we survived the "colicky months", I decided to jump in and knit a pair of longies. Did I mention that I had just learned to knit??? Once again, I pushed myself and these darn longies just about killed me. But I finished them and my knitting skills have improved dramatically (not to mention my confidence). Now I have a pair of shorties in the works ;-)



Love that cloth diaper butt! Oh and for those who may wonder, these were knitted up in Cascade Wool using the Aubrey Doodlepants pattern (a very good "beginner" longie pattern).



3 comments:

  1. I am sooo impressed. I am so proud of you for being a not-so-crafty person who wants to learn. I am not crafty at all and just hate doing stuff that requires lots of detail and sitting still and learning. Augh. So, wow.

    LOVE the longies. They are adorable. And I love cd butts, too. How can you not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, Elizabeth is so beautiful! Her hair and eyes are just.right. And just noticing her clothes - great job!

    Can't wait to get a peek at Elizabeth and the longies ASAP!

    Peace and Love,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya - this is the first time I've been able to get over here and see the finished Elizabeth. You should be so proud, you did such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete